San Dieguito River Valley Open Space Park Joint Powers Authority meeting of February 15, 2013
News gathered at the JPA meeting.
1. Changing of the guard: after the election of Nov 2012, there are now two new JPA Board members: Supervisor Dave Roberts replaces Pam Slater-Price and Mark Kersy is replacing Carl DeMaio as the second San Diego City Council JPA Board Member. Kersy was absent.
2.Dick Bobertz, Executive Director’s Report.
3. Budget Discussion.
4. The agreement which defines the structure of the River Park JPA will expire in June 2014. A new agreement has been drafted and adopted by the JPA Board. The future contributions of the City of San Diego and San Diego County will be 31 % of the budget, the cities of Poway and Escondido will contribute 13 % and the Cities of Del Mar and Solana Beach 6 % each.
5. Leana Bulay, Interpretive Ranger made a presentation on a science program offered to the park visitors.
6. Reports were made on the status of lighting at the Lake Hodges Bridge and the Santa Isabel Backcountry Interpretive Center.
CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
San Dieguito River Park news, gleaned at the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) meeting on February 1, 2013
1. Dick Bobertz reported meeting with San Diego Mayor Bob Filner. Filner will restore funding for the Park in San Diego's budget. The budget needs approval from the San Diego City Council. They did not discuss the "arrears" which now amounts to 750 K.
2. Before leaving office Supervisor Pam Slater provided 338 K for the Outdoor Classroom. Another 25 K to purchase a truck.
3. Rand Newman, San Dieguito River Valley Conservancy Chair and the Conservancy promised to raise another 150 K for preliminary work at the Open Air Class room site. He received an offer of a contribution from Kilroy. He asked: should he accept it? Some said yes, some said no...
4. Rough grading at the Open Air Classroom site will start right away and resume after bird nesting season.
5. Southern California Edison will close its offices on San Andres at the end of February. The rangers will occupy office space at the Fairgrounds as required by the Cease and Desist Orders, until space is provided at the old SCE offices site.
6. CALTRANS made a presentation on the RR double tracking. Said that funding is ranked in 4 tiers. This project is tier 2, thus scheduling construction for 2030.
Widening the RR track across the San Dieguito River
SANDAG, San Diego’s Regional Planning agency has undertaken planning and environmental scoping for double tracking a 1.1 mile segment of the Los Angeles to San Diego (LOSSAN) rail corridor, between Solana Beach and Jimmy Durante Boulevard.
The project led by SANDAG will involve collaboration with The North county Transit District, CALTRANS, the San Dieguito River Park JPA, the Federal Rail Road Administration and several other agencies.