Established in 1986 as a 501(c)(4) non-profit, and supported by a network of members and affiliates, the Friends of the San Dieguito River Valley promotes and supports conservation, restoration, preservation and enhancement of the natural scenic, ecological and open-space resources of the San Dieguito River Valley through advocacy, study, monitoring, and education.
What we do
Friends of the San Dieguito River Valley:
• Serve on the San Dieguito River Park Joint Powers Authority Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) and attend bimonthly meetings.
• Serve on the Carmel Valley Community Planning Board.
• Serve on the important Project Review Committee of the San Dieguito River Park JPA/CAC.
• Attend the bimonthly board meetings of the San Dieguito River Park Joint Powers Authority.
• Attend appropriate meetings of the California Coastal Commission, the San Diego Planning Commission, as well as the local San Diego Community Planning Groups.
• Attend the monthly board meetings of the 22nd District Agricultural Association when there are fairgrounds matters related to the river valley.
• Attend San Diego and Del Mar City Council meetings when appropriate.
We inform the public by:
• Maintaining this website with information on matters related to the River Park from the San Dieguito River mouth in Del Mar to Volcan Mountain near Julian. The site serves notice of coming events such as hikes, habitat renovation, and regional meetings as well as informative articles about and photographs of flora, fauna, river valley locations of interest, and proposed developments.
• Responding to environmental impact reports for projects that would impact the San Dieguito River Valley.
The Friends’ logo was designed by artist Jo Griffith, an illustrator at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Geological Research Division.
Board of Directors, 2019-2022
Maggie Brown, President – Solana Beach
Candy Bowman, Vice President – San Diego
Bill Farrell, Treasurer – San Diego
Jacqueline Winterer – Del Mar
Ann Gardner – San Diego
Jeff Carmel – Rancho Santa Fe
Board members serve for six years, break for one year but may remain in the non-voting advisor category.
Past presidents of the Friends of the San Dieguito River Valley
Alice Goodkind 1986-1997
Jacqueline Winterer 1997-2003
Ann Gardner 2004-2005
Jacqueline Winterer 2006-2013
Tribute to Friends’ co-founder Jacqueline Winterer
Jacqueline Winterer, co-founder of the FSDRV alongside Alice Goodkind, was honored for her 36-year association with the Friends and for her impressive career as a Scripps Institute of Oceanography geologist in a speech by Dwight Worden (now mayor of Del Mar) at the grand opening of the river park’s ranger station on September 12, 2021. Watch the video of the speech below.